When you are away from your home on holidays or for longer periods of time, you can be concerned about the safety of your home. We have 8 recommendations for when you are abroad that will help you upgrade your home security in some simple ways.
- Don’t post on social media: If your 500 Facebook ‘friends’ or any Instagram user who can see your public Instagram account know you are over 8,000 miles away in Beijing you could be leaving yourself open to a planned theft on your home. The power of social media!
- Have an alarm system in place: There are many systems available but for extra peace of mind, a system that includes a follow up service such as a house check, sensors with cameras, notifications to your mobile or phone call to you the home owner will give you extra security and ability to resolve the problem from abroad. Some good options to look into include Home Secure and Phone Watch.
- Make it look like someone is around the house regularly: Organise a visit from a neighbour or friend while you are away. You could also pay someone to cut the grass on your property while you are away giving an impression that someone is or has been around. If your post is visible from your front door consider getting an internal post box to hold any post or get a friend or neighbour to move post away from the door.
- Timers: Use timers for lights indoors and invest in some motion sensing lights outside your house.
- Pets: You might be able to leave your pets at home if they have someone to check in on them and walk or feed them regularly for shorter periods of time. This will mean someone is calling in to the house each day and a presence of a dog is always a deterrent.
- Don’t hide a spare key in predictable places: Under the flower pot or mat at the backdoor is asking burglars to easily access your home when you are there or not.
- Valuables: Don’t leave bags or valuables in areas of sight while you are away. Avoid unwanted attention by keeping laptops, consoles, computers and expensive equipment out of view if possible at all times.
- Car in the driveway: Providing a presence with a car will act as a deterrent to anyone snooping around making it look like there is somebody in the house.
KennCo Home Insurance discounts are available for homes that meet a range of criteria:
- No claims bonus: Generous discounts are available up to 30% with 3 years no claims bonus
- Burglar alarm is fitted in the home
- Smoke detectors: we reward customers who have two or more smoke detectors in the home
- Voluntary excess: We offer voluntary excess options of €500 and €1000 to help out customers who might want to reduce their premium. This can come in handy if you have had previous claims that might be increasing your quoted premiums
KennCo has a Home Insurance policy that is ideal for you no matter what stage in life you are at. Keeping your home and belongings safe and secure is what Home Insurance from KennCo will give you. If you do need to make a claim our claims team are here to guide you through what steps to take next. We have 3 products available:
- Renters – A Contents Only product ideal for the high volume of people in rented homes in Ireland means you can still protect all your possessions. This covers your possessions in your home for theft and/or accidental damage. See all the benefits and additional cover that can be added to your policy here. Request a competitive Contents Only Home Insurance quote here.
- Home Owners – If you are a home owner looking to insure your home and contents we offer very competitive quotes with discounts available on all quotes. Benefits include family legal protection, extra cover at Christmas and before and after wedding/civil partnership, accidental damage and more you might not even realise are included. Get a quote from Ireland’s favourite home insurance provider now.
- Landlords – We protect your property and loss of rent under our Landlord Insurance with reliable cover specifically tailored made for rental properties. This covers fire, perils and theft and subsidence meaning your investment property is fully covered. All features of this policy are available here. Get a quote and see what discounts you have available to you today for your rental property online or by calling us on 0818252025.